Straight from MidAmerican Energy… Carbon monoxide, also called CO, is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause dizziness, nausea and even death from carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is produced when a fuel doesn’t burn completely. Gas appliances and other fuel-burning household devices – such as a wood-burning fireplace, generator or engine – produce invisible carbon monoxide fumes.
- Ask a qualified professional to inspect your home-heating systems annually for proper operation and potential leakage.
- If you have a wood or gas fireplace, ask a professional to check and clean the chimney, flue or vent regularly.
- Have fuel-burning appliances installed by a qualified professional to ensure that they are properly vented and operating as intended.
- Never operate fuel-burning devices such as grills, motorcycles or generators indoors.